Teunis is currently leading several applied research projects on development and validation of innovative alternative methods that contribute to reduction and replacement of animal testing. Next to a primary role in managing projects, Teunis is also coaching people in the group. Core tasks are writing scientific articles and grant proposals; reports and texts for marketing and public relations purposes; supervising students; human resources and project acquisition and dissemination of research results and methods into Educational programs. Teunis also has a teaching position at the Institute for Life sciences & Chemistry where he teaches in Immunology; Toxicology and Alternatives to Animal Use. Furthermore he supervises internship-students and co-ordinates post-graduation courses and summer courses. Teunis completed his Ph.D. in 2003 which was performed at Wilhelmina's Children's Hospital in Utrecht, where he worked on brain-immune inteactions and tumor angiogenesis. His Master's degree was obtained at the Faculty of Biology in Utrecht where he specialised in animal physiology and neurosciences.
Short-List of publications
- Transfer of a two-tiered keratinocyte assay: IL-18 production by NCTC2544 to determine the skin sensitizing capacity and epidermal equivalent assay to determine sensitizer potency. Teunis, M.A.T. et al., Toxicol. in Vitro. 2012.
- Alternatives to Animals, Teunis, M.A.T., International Innovation, April, 2013
- Pre-validatie voor duidelijkheid toepasbaarheid nieuwe 3V-testmethoden, Teunis, M.A.T., Website NKCA, 2013
- Reduced tumor growth, experimental metastasis formation, and angiogenesis in rats with a hyperreactive dopaminergic system. Teunis, M.A.T. et al., FASEB J. 2002.
- Changes in innate and acquired immune responses in mice with targeted deletion of the dopamine transporter gene. Kavelaars, A. et al., J. Neuroimmunol. 2005.
- Maternal deprivation of rat pups increases clinical symptoms of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis at adult age. Teunis, M.A.T. et al., J. Neuroimmunol. 2002.
Senior Scientist (0.8 fte) / Lecturer (0.2 fte)