Luc Vanhees, PhD, Professor, (1951) began his career in 1976 as exercise physiologist at the Catholic University of Leuven and as trainee leader and physical therapist in cardiopulmonary rehabilitation at the University Hospitals of Leuven.
- 1984 Completed doctoral studies with the thesis Cardiale en humorale adaptaties aan fysieke training bij patiënten met ischemisch hartlijden [Cardiac and physiological adaptations in physical training in patients with ischeamic disease] at KU Liège.
- 1990-2004 Head of the department of Cardiac Rehabilitation within the UZ Leuven.
- Present Full professor and chairman of the Department of Rehabilitation Sciences at the Catholic University of Leuven.
- 2002 Professor Lifestyle and Health at the Faculty Health Care at the Utrecht University of Applied Sciences.
- He is secretary, as well as a member of the executive board of the European Association of Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation His scientific service is demonstrated further by responsibilities or membership in numerous scientific national and international associations within the realm of exertion physiology, cardiology and sports medicine and as member of the editorial board or as reviewer of dozens of international medical journals.