Jessica Veldhuizen, MSc RN (1991) has been working since October 1, 2016 as a lecturer at the University of Applied Sciences in Utrecht (HU) and as a PhD student within the Chronic Diseases research group.
Her PhD research focuses on the effectiveness of community health nursing to community living older people. It is expected that the care for the community living older people will increase. This is explained by the accelerating population of older people, the desire of older people to live home as long as possible, and the possibilities of early discharge from hospital to home. The community or district nurse plays an important role in the care for and support of older people to maintain independent. It is important that the nursing care is effective, cost efficient and rewarded. However, there is currently no insight into the effectiveness of the care delivered by community or district nurses on health care utilization such as emergency visits or nursing home admission, and patient outcomes such as daily functioning or quality of life. In addition, it is unknown which outcomes of district nursing care are relevant and influenceable. This knowledge and insight is crucial to deliver high-quality and cost-effective care to older people with complex care needs in the community.
In 2016, Jessica received her Master of Science at Utrecht University. Her master thesis focused on predictors of functional decline in community living older people with a low socioeconomic status. After obtaining her Bachelor of Nursing diploma (2016), she started working as a district nurse. Alongside her work as a PhD student and lecturer, Jessica still works with pleasure as a district nurse.
- October 2016 - present: PhD student University of Applied Sciences Utrecht, Research Centre for Innovation in Health Care, Chronic Diseases. Promotor: Professor dr. M.J. Schuurmans, Utrecht University. Co-promotor: Dr. N. Bleijenberg.
- October 2016 - present: Lecturer Bachelor of Nursing at University of Applied Sciences Utrecht (HU).
- January 2013 - present: District nurse at Beweging 3.0, Nijkerk.
- 2014 - 2016 Master of Science: Clinical Health Sciences, (Nursing Sciences), Utrecht University
- 2013 - 2014: Premaster Clinical Health Sciences, (Nursing Sciences), Utrecht University
- 2009 - 2013: Bachelor of Nursing, Ede Christian University of Applied Sciences
- 2016 – present: Student member European Academy of Nursing Sciences (EANS)
- 2015 - present: Member V&VN Verpleegkundigen Maatschappij & Gezondheid (V&VN M&G)
- 2014 - 2016: Member Education Committee Master Clinical Health Sciences, (Nursing Sciences), Utrecht University